The World Through My Shoes is my look at living this incredible gift God has given us. As a busy wife, mother and daughter I relish the alone time I receive on my early morning runs. It is in the stillness of those predawn mornings where I often am inspired. Thank you for taking the time to read my words.

Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Trail

The morning was wet.  The sky was colored an endless shade of gray due to the misty rain it was releasing.  My spirits were not dampened as I looked forward to running a trail in the foothills with my friends.  Besides, my feeling was it would stop soon.

We carpooled to the trail head.  Looking at the map, we plotted the trails we would run and then we began.  The rain had stopped and the chill in the air was perfectly fall.  Our talk and laughter rose into the branches of the massive evergreen trees which were so tall the view of the sky was completely hidden.  Rocks and fallen branches were navigated with jumps and bounces.  

As the elevation rose, the silence of the woods was broken only by our breathing.  Switchbacks were tackled with determination.  My understanding of "challenging trail" was being broadened.  The top afforded no breath-taking vista, rather, a view of the woods that God created; spectacular in its own right.  The downhill produced a needed break before battling the uphill again.  It was mesmerizing and I found myself immersed in my surroundings.


Running on wet leaves, over rocks and roots through the narrow trail, I was being given a gift.  The trial was giving more to me than I imagined.  Amidst the trees, I was gifted the motivation I haven't had since my last marathon a month ago.  Perfectly wrapped in a pine scented box, I was handed the reminder of my love of running.  The run was a tough one and it broke right through the mediocre and pierced through to the joy.



We piled back into the car and headed back to the lives waiting for us off the trail.  I smile.  Welcome back Motivation, oh how I've missed you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment