The World Through My Shoes is my look at living this incredible gift God has given us. As a busy wife, mother and daughter I relish the alone time I receive on my early morning runs. It is in the stillness of those predawn mornings where I often am inspired. Thank you for taking the time to read my words.

Thursday, April 28, 2011

It's Almost Here

Race Day.  It's almost here.  My nerves are playing their own version of WWE Smackdown contained underneath this layer of skin.  One never gets use to the pre-race jitters.

While winter did it's best to thwart my training, the focus of this coming weekend pushed me through.  Knowing that all the hard work would pay off has a way of sharpening one's determination.  For months I ran through bitter northeastern winds, torrential downpours and the snow and ice that winter delivered.  I logged hundreds of miles on trails and roads to bring me strongly prepared to the starting line.  And now it's so close I can almost see it.

My body is feeling good and strong and more than ready to take the beating of 26.2 miles.  In a moment of complete personal honesty, where I fight my biggest battle lies in my mental game.  With the help of my running friends, I will not fight this fight alone this time.  On the course, I will slay the dragon that leeches onto my back and weighs me down.

Race day demons die this weekend.

If others believe in the potentional they see in me, why can't I?  The hardest part of my training has not been the miles, but the driving out of self-doubt.  For the first time I will toe the start line believing in the potential I hold.   And in many ways that makes me feel like I've already won.

On Sunday as I finish my 8th marathon on the track of the history-rich Hayward Field, following the echoing footsteps of some of this country's greatest runners, look up.  On the jumbo-tron you will see this mom throw her hands up in victory.  And weep for joy.

2 comments:

  1. Cheri--Dragon be damned. You are going to run this race on YOUR terms. I'm so excited for you! You've inspired me all winter long and been such a great training partner. You. Go. Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, you have pushed me and helped me slay that dragon. You helped show me 'I can'. Together we will rock that course and leave dragons trailing far, far behind us.

    ReplyDelete