The World Through My Shoes is my look at living this incredible gift God has given us. As a busy wife, mother and daughter I relish the alone time I receive on my early morning runs. It is in the stillness of those predawn mornings where I often am inspired. Thank you for taking the time to read my words.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Curve Balls & Laundry Baskets

One can plan out an entire year of racing, down to the minute detail and it can all get tossed up in the air by a laundry basket.  Strange to think that something that has absolutely nothing to do with running can bring my exercise regime to a screeching halt.

The Villian - doesn't it look evil?
It is hard to say what happened, as I really am not sure what did.  I do know I casually leaped over the laundry basket (AKA The Villian), easily clearing all 18 inches of it. 

The next moment I am on the ground in pain. 


Golf ball or ankle?
And where my ankle is suppose to be I find a golf ball.  The ground has become my friend as I am having a difficult time standing up.  In an instant I knew, I just knew, this golf ball size lump has sucked every moment from my near-future runs.  I lived through this in 2008 when I had a severe sprain, on the same ankle, and was side-lined for 6 weeks.
Here I sit on my sofa, my foot wrapped and propped up on pillows.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't sad.  It's disheartening to look at your personal goals and know that they are put on hold.  The Ankle Dictator will be in control for awhile; as much as I despise him, I have to play this smart and listen to him.  My spring marathons have been taken off the schedule and my June schedule is questionable. 

There are blessings in this that I recognize, and for that I am grateful.  In order not to have Christmas gifts put on credit all my race fees were put on hold until February.  So although running them has been taken out of my schedule, I am not out of race fees.

My boys have been wonderful, making sure I can stay put and have my foot up.  It is a wonderful thing as a parent when you receive affirmation of your parenting with the kindness and care they show during times like this.  They will make wonderful husbands.

When my sadness took the form of tear drops, my husband shared the heartbreak with me.  Not many women have empathy like that in their spouse, I am blessed.

Being taken off running is not the end of the world and is not the worst thing that could happen to me.  Right now I need to realign my goals and once I can wrap my head around them, my focus will sharpen.  However right now, I am sad.  And that is ok.

6 comments:

  1. Sheri Setzer1/19/2012 1:57 PM

    So sorry, Cheri. I love reading your inspiring posts. Take care to heal up well.

    Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheri. I will be out there again and hopefully sooner than later!

      Delete
  2. Ron Kageyama1/20/2012 8:24 AM

    You have my complete sympathy Cheri. I fractured my ankle in October stepping into a pothole at the Portland Marathon. Best wishes for a speedy recovery! Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron, I am so sorry to hear that - how horrible!! :( I hope you are back to running and not still battling it. Nothing like forced rest to make us find a new appreciation for what we love to do.

      Delete
  3. No one knows better how you feel than I do Cheri. Feel blessed in that it is just a temporary set back! Visualize yourself running and soon you will be again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do know my frustration well Bonnie. I am looking forward to the day that I will be back out there running again. And with you in June!! :)

      Delete