The World Through My Shoes is my look at living this incredible gift God has given us. As a busy wife, mother and daughter I relish the alone time I receive on my early morning runs. It is in the stillness of those predawn mornings where I often am inspired. Thank you for taking the time to read my words.

Monday, December 24, 2018

The Upside Down & Stranger Things

My lungs are burning.  I'm running fast.  Every running coach will tell you one can out run the pain.  I'm hoping they don't mean just physical.

The memory of today finds me staring at The Upside Down.  I'm trying to outrun it.  I don't want to go back. 


Four years ago today, my siblings and our families found ourselves in The Upside Down.  In a single instant our world turned upside down, the single worst day of our lives.  The thing about The Upside Down is sometimes you walk into it.  A decision you make, a choice you choose and you walk into The Upside Down.  Other times, you hear the hurricane siren and you can brace yourself before The Upside Down comes.

Not us.

We were picked up and heaved in.  We fell hard, hitting ourselves on the rocks of that long shaft into The Upside Down.  At the bottom, we lay broken, bruised, bleeding.   We clung tight to each other and tighter to God.  We navigated together in The Upside Down.   

In The Upside Down you can see from where you fell.   It's Christmas Eve and everyone is happy and singing and sipping hot cocoa.  All appears to be merry and bright.  The Upside Down is dark.  You question if you'll ever get out.  Or if your Christmas will ever have singing again.

As we tended to each other's wounds, stranger things began to happen.  The healing came.  We spent fewer days in The Upside Down.  God held us together and together we lifted each other out.

It's not to say there won't be days we tumble back into The Upside Down.  Like today.  I ran hard to avoid it. 

Looking back I remind myself of the people who surrounded us, walked alongside us, loved on us.  I remind myself the wounds and brokenness heal.  It leaves scars, but healing does come. 

You see, the scars don't heal.
Scars are the healing.

And if there is one thing I've learned about The Upside Down it is this - the beacon out of The Upside Down are the scars of those who have navigated out of it before you.  

You will heal.
You will have scars.
The Upside Down will become upside right.


If you are in need of a beacon, I've got some scars I can show you.







No comments:

Post a Comment