The World Through My Shoes is my look at living this incredible gift God has given us. As a busy wife, mother and daughter I relish the alone time I receive on my early morning runs. It is in the stillness of those predawn mornings where I often am inspired. Thank you for taking the time to read my words.

Monday, July 1, 2019

A Gift of Pebbles

A beautiful summer day, and the park was sparse with people.  The path I was running twisted into a clearing.  A young family lazily walked toward me while I ran.

Their 3 year old daughter walked about 20 paces ahead of them.

She watched me.  Soon her little feet began to run.

Without warning, she made a 90 degree turn immediately into my path. 
"NO JAYCE NO!  Honey, noooo!!! 
Both parents shouting and trying to stop their daughter.
I stopped as quickly as I could and avoided the 2 of us colliding.

Grateful I avoided an unfortunate incident, I knelt down to look into her eyes.
I offered my hand for a high five.

"Nice running you were doing there.  Can I have a high five?"

She immediately knelt into the same position I was in.
 

"Can I have a high five?" again offering my hand.

She looks at my hand, reaches down to the only thing she can find, and gifts me a tiny fist full of pebbles.
Her face could not contain the enormity of her smile.
My smile matches hers.

"This is the best gift I have received all day.  Thank you."

Her parents smile, take her hand and continue on their way.
I do the same.


My heart full, I thought about Jayce and her gift of pebbles.

Jayce saw an empty hand.
Without hesitation, she filled it with the only thing she could, a fist full of pebbles.
I saw someone reaching out to help me.

I did the only thing I could do, and opened my hand.
And we both walked away smiling.

Thank you Jayce for reminding me to give what I can with simply what is within my reach.
This runner had no idea a gift of pebbles could feel so good.








No comments:

Post a Comment