The World Through My Shoes is my look at living this incredible gift God has given us. As a busy wife, mother and daughter I relish the alone time I receive on my early morning runs. It is in the stillness of those predawn mornings where I often am inspired. Thank you for taking the time to read my words.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Moon Shadows

The door creaks open and the moonlight spills onto the floor.  I sneak out of the house quietly, shutting the door behind me.  This is my time.  There are no phones, no interruptions, no voices.  Only me.  Shaking the sleep from my mind, I begin my run.

Fall’s crisp air is warmed slightly by the breeze from the south.  Summer did it’s best to hang on, but there is no mistaking the changing seasons.  The chill gives me a brief shudder.  The moon in its glowing splendor is shining bright enough to cast shadows around me.  The clouds do their best to conceal it, but they are no match this morning for the moon’s brilliance.  It looks to be a perfect morning to run. 

My feet and breathing fall into rhythmic cadence.  This is where I am alone with my thoughts and the best time to talk with God.  My troubles become smaller and the worries loosen their grip with each step I take.  I lose myself in the beauty around me.  There is such grandeur  around me and I am momentarily a part of its landscape.   I am out in the pre-dawn silence of God’s creation relishing every step of it.  People always ask how it is possible I can crawl out of a warm bed, before the sun comes up and go run.  I look around and smile.  This is exactly why.  If they only knew how incredible this felt, there would be no need to ask.  The feeling transcends words and I fall short in trying to explain it.  So I simply tell them to try it and they’ll see why.

The run is over and I pause outside the door.  Drinking my water I look up at the big sky above and soak in my last few quiet moments.  When I open the door  there will be alarms, showers and packing school bags.  But not yet.  I am still looking at the moon and enjoying its splendor.  Most people today will have missed this and I feel incredibly blessed to have been a small part of it.


1 comment:

  1. You explained it beautifully Cheri! I remember the same feeling when I used to walk at 5 AM. The air would be crisp but yet the silence of the night hung on. I remember the sky illuminated by stars twinkling thru out. I remember it..........Thank you Cheri for bringing that back. Love Joyce

    ReplyDelete